march madness 2011

Monday, February 28, 2011

Q & A

Today I will take some time to address a few questions that have come across my desk over the past few years as administrator of our little bracket.  All names withheld for obvious reasons.

Q:  “Do I have to pick winners for every single game played? Or just pick the 4 teams I think will be in the final four? And then save it? I’m confused!!!!”

A:  Yes, you have to pick a winner for every single game.  CBS Sportsline will walk you through the process.


Q:  “Are you going to be at Church on Sunday? If so, I can bring the bottle of wine then.”

A:  Since I do not want the pastors questioning my sobriety every Sunday morning, give me a heads up and we can meet in the parking lot after. 


Q:  “What is the difference between March Madness and the Ides of March?  I was sick from school that day.  I assume they are synonyms.”

A:  March Madness is a basketball tournament.  The Ides of March is March 15th, the date that Julius Caesar was killed.  Beware of both.


Q:  “If I can find a way to email [bracket choices] to you, would that work?”

A:  Not a problem.  If you want to scan/email your selections I can easily enter them for you.


Q:  “I'm assuming we are doing the bracket for the Men's BB tourney, right?”

A:  Yes.


Q:  “Why should I be punished because a bunch of sweaty guys didn't live up to their ranking? If the competition had rested on me alone I would have won. I am quite confident of that. Maybe we could do a follow up ping pong tournament or even beer guzzling?”

A:  Wow, this is a lot to unpack.  “Madness” is the operative word.  It is not a misnomer: some teams will far surpass their rankings while others will fail to live up to theirs.  Unfortunately (and fortunately) no outside events will be used to determine who takes home the wine.  Especially not any event that would require me to drink beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment